Friday, March 14, 2014

                                          Blog Post 8


Question I will be exploring: What do I believe makes a good school?


       When I was reading chapter seven in the Bill Ayers book, I agreed with many of his assertions about what makes a good school. Like Ayers, I believe that a good school is "powered by core values
that are explicit, apparent and embodied in everyday life"(100). Central values give students general guidelines that can help them to make good decisions and be the best person they can possibly be both inside and outside of school. I think John Carroll does a great job of having and presenting its values. The values of John Carroll are explicit. The mission statement of John Carroll describes the school's values and this statement is posted all over campus. John Carroll also has its values embodied in everyday life. Students receive emails about or practice community service almost daily. I think all schools should have explicit core values and integrate them into everyday life just as John Carroll does. Schools can have a wide variety of values. Whatever the values happen to be, they should be clear and have a clear application.

     In addition, I also agree with Ayers' claim that good schools have high expectations for all students. I think it is important to challenge and nurture the growth of all students, whether they are in regular courses or more advanced courses. Although I believe my high school was generally a good school, it really could improve in this particular area. My high school tended to focus on and encourage honors and advanced placement students more than other students. I believe that administrators and teachers should devote an equal amount of time and resources to all students.

No comments:

Post a Comment